Wednesday, January 8, 2014

So it's been a while....

The past few weeks have been so hectic between the holidays, travelling back to my apartment, and the start of the new quarter. Last we talked it was about to be New Years, hope you all had a wonderful night! Do you have any ideas for how you want to live out this next new year? I find it interesting and we wait until the January 1 to revamp ourselves, our attitude, our home, our job, relationships, etc etc and all that stuff resolutions tend to encompass. Really, couldn't everyday be a new opportunity? Even if it's just a small one. What are you doing new with today? This year?

I will admit that I am guilty of buying into the whole resolution idea. Usually my biggest is to lose weight, and I know I'm not the only one out there. I began a weight loss journey a long time ago and once I started, I don't think I've ever stopped. It's a lifestyle change that's flows in and out with small changes an adaptation. But I think there's one thing that I overlooked and can't quite get a good grasp on: I am beautiful. No matter my size. This year I want to strive for acceptance. From myself, for myself. I remember feeling empowered when I finally realized it didn't matter what other people thought of me....but recently I've realized, it doesn't me any good to care or not care about what other people think of me, when I'm spending every day looking down upon myself for one reason or another. Usually it's how I feel about my body. And why should I? I've come a long way - from a size 14 to a size 6. I should be proud. But somehow....I haven't quite made it. In fact, I'd say since losing weight I feel WORSE about myself. So this year, I want to work on loving my body every day no matter how it looks. I wish every woman could achieve this. We ALL deserve to love our bodies - no matter what we look like or what size we are. 

Another thing I want to focus on is being creative. Having some kind of expression that goes outside of my own head and the negativity that can reside there. I used to paint, sketch, and sew all the time but being in college makes it a bit difficult and I have to really be motivated to use my time on it. Since I buy vintage jewels so often, I have a lot of broken or poor conditioned pieces laying around and I decided to try putting together vintage assemblage pieces for myself. So far I've made a necklace and a ring. I don't like using glue, so everything is wired and can be taken apart with ease if I decide it needs to be. I usually don't like when people use pieces to make other things because they most often use pieces that were in good condition and it makes me sad (which is why I've taken so long to start these projects) but I only used pieces that were broken or in disrepair. I first made a necklace....


The pieces I used are RobĂ©rt, Demario, Haskell, Japan, and NOS pearls. The components are all imperfect and partly broken/missing, but I thought they joined together nicely. 



And I got so many compliments the few times I wore it that I decided to make a ring as well...(sorry for the chippy nails!)



I don't know how often I will be doing this but it felt good to create something that I can wear. 


I'm definitely not an expert, but I like the way the pieces came out! They are perfect little reflections of my style. 

Hopefully you all can find something to focus on and feel a sense of accomplishment about. There's something really soothing about it. 

Well, I have another class to go to soon. So I gotta run! 

Till next time!
Xo



No comments:

Post a Comment